Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's Your Bag?

I want to find out what drives everyone on a daily basis. The readers of this blog have a lot of different backgrounds and professions. But, I have something in common with all of you.

So, what's your thing? What's your cause?

I have my daily essentials. I love the NBA. I watch A LOT of basketball every week. I love movies. I watch a movie a day. I love to write. I write for at least an hour a day (scripts, books, songs, intrusive blogs).

Sure, these things are fun and make for easy conversation. But, they don't define me. I hope that nothing defines me. But, let's see. What is important to me?

Wife and kid. Family. Of course. Obvious answer. To flesh this out though... Having a partner in crime is important. Gay, straight, whatever. As long as you have someone that challenges you and motivates you. And, my kid is like the cool version of me. Where I am flawed, he is perfect.

A level playing field. I don't think socioeconomic status or class defines character or happiness. Money still means nothing to me. This is a good and bad thing, I know. I just think there are a lot more important things. A LOT.

Being good and generally content. I like to smile. And, I try to have a good day every day.

Animals are lovely. I'm not a vegetarian. So, I'm somewhat of a hypocrite on this one. But, I believe all animals should be treated kindly. No animal should ever be skinned or tortured in any way.

The future. I recycle, I drive a hybrid and I turn all the lights off in my house. I try to do my small little part. I'm not perfect, but I'm definitely an aware consumer.

Art is life. I think every person on this planet should write, paint, draw, act, play music, dance, sing and partake in art on a daily basis. Art is one of the most primitive forms of communication. But, it can also be elaborate, entertaining and educational. There's no easy definition. That's why it is what it is.

Thinking. Smart is good. Dumb is bad. Learning is growing. If you don't grow, you're a stale fart. And, what's worse than a stale fart? N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Nothing.

Laughing. I wish I could make people laugh more. I envy comedians. They've figured it all out.

Adventure. My ideal life would consist of never knowing what I would do tomorrow. Life is to be explored, not scheduled.

So...

Those are a few of the things that are important to me. What's important to you? I really want to know. I've met some interesting people in my life. But, I always regret not having more of these type of conversations. So, I want to know what floats your boat.

What's your bag?