Thursday, October 23, 2008

He Hit The Nail Right On The Head... for me

These are the lyrics to John Lennon's song "God" (I've changed only a couple of lines as if I've written the song):

God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a Concept by which
we measure our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me... Tiffiny, Jack and me
That's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
the Dream is Over
After Yesterday
I was the writer
But now I'm just dyin'
I was the maker
But now I'm Brian
and so dear friends
you'll just have to carry on
The Dream is over

Without being crazy, I think this song pretty much states my exact opinion about the same subject. *Notice one of the first lines of the song - it reflects last week's post... for me* I know he wasn't speaking to me, obviously. But, truly great artists will make work that speaks to many people on different levels. The Seinfeld Show spoke to the truths about all of us. The Dark Knight showed America it's own alter ego. With "God", John Lennon told a story about his view about God... which happens to say what I want to say about the subject better than I can say it.

Do any of you have songs or movies or TV shows that tell your truth? Please post.

** I know this post might offend some people... but, it shouldn't. My opinion about the subject should be like me writing "My favorite color is blue". You might disagree, but it doesn't make me wrong. Or bad. You could like red, green or black the most. Good for you. I shouldn't have to even write this last part, but there's always an asterisk in life. **